(CLOSED) – MENIAL: Skilled Labor in SF (Anthology)
Other people treat laborers like the dirt they work with. But skilled labor is crucial to the continuation of human culture on earth – and if we ever wish to visit the stars, skilled labor will be indispensable.
We want stories about men and women who understand the nuts and bolts, the atmosphere and the water and the soil. You know – the things that keep us alive. We want characters who get their hands dirty every day; people who aren’t too proud to work their bodies at least as hard as their minds.
We welcome and strongly encourage submissions with underrepresented main characters: characters of color, LGBTQ characters, women characters, etc.!
- Science Fiction stories (no Fantasy)
- No stereotypes/caricatures of the lower classes
- No retellings of John Henry (it’s a great story, it’s just done too often)
- 2000-8000 words (firm)
- Single-spaced, double-space between paragraphs. Use a standard font like Times New Roman or Arial, in 12 pt. (Note: Courier is evil.) Use DOC, DOCX or RTF format.
- No simultaneous submissions. No reprints.
Rights & Compensation
- Crossed Genres Publications takes exclusive worldwide print and digital rights for 1 year, then non-exclusive worldwide print and digital rights for 2 more years.
Payment is a flat $20 USD, plus print and ebook copies of the anthology.
NOW CLOSED TO SUBMISSIONS
Send any questions to questions @ crossedgenres.com.
“There’s a reason Crossed Genres is one of my favorite markets. This call for submissions is a good example of why.”
- Adam Israel
“Crossed Genres plays with the most interesting anthology themes. ”
- Michelle Muenzler