Fierce Family – open submissions
Strong, united families are rarely portrayed in SFF. They’re often dysfunctional, combative, self-destructive, or miserable, when they’re portrayed at all. This is especially true for non-nuclear and adoptive families – single parent families and families with no children are easy targets for invalidation.
And QUILTBAG families are almost never portrayed in SFF at all, regardless of whether their families are loving or falling apart.
Two birds, one stone.
We want stories in which at least one member of the family is QUILTBAG. They can be families of any constellation: all sizes and configurations, families of choice as well as families by birth. The families are caring and connected – when outside conflict arises, they come together to defend and aid one another. Fiercely, and without hesitation.
- Science Fiction and/or Fantasy
- 2000-8000 words (firm)
- At least one member of the family must be QUILTBAG (more than one is great!)
- Single-spaced, double-space between paragraphs. Use a standard font like Times New Roman or Arial, in 12 pt. (Note: Courier is evil.) Use DOC, DOCX or RTF format.
- No simultaneous submissions. No reprints.
Rights & Compensation
- Crossed Genres Publications takes exclusive worldwide print and digital rights for 1 year, then non-exclusive worldwide print and digital rights for 2 more years.
Payment is a flat $20 USD, plus print and ebook copies of the anthology.
To submit a story, use the submission form.
Send any questions to questions @ crossedgenres.com.